At our Board of Education meeting last evening, the BOE approved the following to take place for the next (approximate) 30 days, until the next BOE meeting in November.
- The Early Childhood program will continue to have certain adaptations to protocols that are age appropriate for ECC students.
- K-8 grades will continue to have a mask mandate protocol for both students and staff.
- The federal mask mandate on all buses will remain for all students and staff.
- Grades 9-12 will have a mask optional protocol for both students and staff.
- 9-12 mask optional change is effective Monday 10-18-21. This includes both high schools, Success Campus, Lewis & Clark, and CAPS (certain strands).
- All unvaccinated 9-12 students and staff will still be advised but, not mandated, to wear a mask.
- Mask optional protocol has a 4% threshold (COVID positive/probable cases) to go back to full masks in a given school building. This is at the discretion of the Superintendent and can be enacted immediately.
- New modified quarantine protocol from the St. Charles County Health allows for students who are wearing a mask when exposed to a positive case at school to still attend school even if the positive person was not wearing a mask at the time as long as they continue to wear a mask during the 14 day modified quarantine and do not experience any COVID symptoms. This modified protocol still excludes students from attending sporting events and extra curricular activities during a modified quarantine.
- The St. Charles County Health Department is considering a new quarantine modification that may allow students to participate in sports and activities with specific testing protocols. Please be on the lookout for more information regarding this new modification.
- Starting Monday, masks will be optional at activities and sporting events at the 9-12 grade level. Unvaccinated patrons and students who have not reached high school age are advised, but not mandated, to wear masks at high school sporting events and activities.
- Starting Monday, masks will be optional in buildings that don't primarily have students (maintenance/transportation & Benton/Administration). However, all unvaccinated staff and visitors are advised to wear a mask at all times inside District buildings.
It’s imperative that we all continue self-checks/assessments BEFORE staff and students attend school each day AND during the first 15 minutes of each day as well. This is a very important part of keeping illness out of the buildings and/or isolated. Please, do NOT come to school if you feel sick in any way.
The combination of wearing masks and having a high level of eligible students vaccinated continues to be the answer to keeping students safe and in school. The only way a student will miss school due to COVID is being isolated due to a positive test result or being quarantined due to an exposure (without a mask on and not vaccinated).
As always...Let’s stay united, positive, and supportive as we continue to bring our BEST everyday!
Dr. Jason Sefrit
Superintendent of Schools