In the City of St. Charles School District, instruction for elementary students focuses on literacy, mathematics, science, and social studies. Physical education, art, music, health, library media, character education, and technology instruction are also an integral part of the elementary curriculum. To view the specific district-adopted curriculum for each subject area, please visit the district website at www.stcharlessd.org/. Click the link to Curriculum-Curriculum Subject Areas.
Elementary schools in the City of St. Charles School District have adopted Standards-Based Grading, which is different than the traditional A-F grading systems. The Standards-Based grading system:
- indicates what students know and are able to do
- measures a student's progress toward proficiency
- indicates if a student has reached mastery
- is ongoing and occurs when appropriate
- clearly communicates expectations ahead of time
- is authentic to the learning experiences of students, based on complex tasks, not rote memory
- involves demonstration of proficiency, not a guess on a multiple-choice test
City of St. Charles School District elementary schools will be operating on a trimester system for the 2017-2018 school year.